You should always follow these few defensive tips and you will prevent a lot of baskets.
1. Always know where the ball is so that you can help out team mates and read passes.
2. Never cross your legs, always slide when going sideways.
3. Always make sure you are between your man and the basket, if not then he just scored. Don't be afraid to box him out or put your body on him to do this, Just don't foul him.
4. Know if he is right handed or left handed. Maybe he can't drive on his left. Find out so you can predict what his next move will be.
5. Always keep your hands up. Never at your sides. You can steal the ball, and block passes and shots if your hands are in the action.
6. Never slack off or else the offense will make you pay.
7. Watch the hips not the ball. Half of the reason why all of those And1 tricks work is because the defender goes for the opponents ball fakes. Just watch the hips and you wont bite on crossovers and pump fakes.
8. If the steal is there, go for it. If you don't get it though make sure he isn't going to get by you. Being aggressive makes the opponent afraid to dribble the ball near you.
You must insure that you are playing defense in the right position so that you can defend to your greatest potential. First you must bend your knees so that they are half-way bent (half way from being totally straight and totally bent) so it almost appears that you are sitting in mid air. You also must have your butt 2 inches behind your heels. Then you spread your legs so that your feet are slightly more than shoulder width apart. Rotate your left foot out and place your right foot foreward. Keep your left hand down to stop the dribble and your right hand up to block his line of site for passes and shots. Do not keep your fingers straight, you are asking for a jammed finger. instead bend them in a little, you will catch/block the ball a lot better.
When someone makes a reference about driving in the game of basketball they basically mean to dribble hard towards the basket in hope of laying it up or passing the ball out to an open team-mate. If you are driving to the right side of the basket dribble with your right hand, hold your left hand out in front of you, lower your left shoulder and stiffen your whole left hand. Go strong and don't stop even if it seems like you don't have the angle to drive because you might find that you can eventually find your self inside for a layup. If it does turn out that your defender didn't let you drive in, then you could always just pass it out, or post him up from there. When you drive don't hesitate or run half speed. Encorporate the crossover into this and learn how to go both ways, left and right.
Learn and follow these following tips to ecome a better ball handler.
1. Always keep your head up while dribbling the ball.you want to keep your eyes on your defender, open for a potential pass, or to shoot the ball.
2. When you are closely guarded dribble the ball lower. If you are trying to split a defense dribble very low right throught the middle of them.
3. Dribble the ball with your fingers not your palms. You will find that you have more control of the ball when you use your fingers.
4. Make sure that you use both hands when dribbling the ball. If you only use your strong hand it is easier for the defense to steal the ball.
5. Dribble close to your body with your elbow close as well. This will help you control the ball better and will make it easier to do a spin move.
Bounce passes are good passes that are hard to intercept because they go low where no hands are. A bounce pass is exactly what the name implies, a bounced pass. It is the pass of choice if the pass is going to go through traffic. For an effictive bounce pass you must bounce the ball at 2/3rds of the distance between you and your recieving team mate. Often times intercepted passes can be avoided by throwing a bounce pass instead. If you have stopped dribbling and there is a man on yo trying to stop you from passing, then i advise that you fake the pass high and when he lifts his arms put the ball under them.
Fundamentals- For shooting the basketball you must have your entire body in the right position to ensure that you have the greatest chance of making the shot.First you should have your strong arm up and Bent at a 90 degree angle.
And Also have your weak arm up along side it as a helper hand.
Then flick your wrist and push your arm up to propel the ball towards the net.