Today In NBA History 1995-96: Barkley, Olajuwon Pull Down 10,000th Rebounds
17 and 18 years ago today, Charles Barkley and Hakeem Olajuwon joined the exclusive 10,000 rebound club.
HoopsVibe Very Quick Call: Weren’t those Rockets uniforms terrible at that time?
The only thing worse was the huge rocket they had at half court, that covered literally, about half of the court.
Barkley’s 10,000th rebound came during his last season in Phoenix in the first quarter of a victory over the Grizzlies on February 19th, 1996. Having already scored 20,000 points in his career, he became just the 10th NBA player to accumulate 20,000 points and 10,000 rebounds. Barkley finished his career with the 18th most rebounds in NBA history, with 12,546. Amazingly for his career, Barkley never averaged less than double digit rebounds per season, ever. He truly was "The Round Mound Of Rebound." Throw in his assist totals and Barkley is one of just four players with 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 4,000 assists, with Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone being the other three.
Olajuwon finished 11th all-time with a total of 13,748. He accomplished the feat a year earlier, during a nine rebound performance over the Knicks on February 19th, 1995 and it made him the ninth player in NBA history to crack the 20,000 point/10,000 rebound plateau.
In all the years of NBA action, only 16 players have collected 20,000 points and 10,000 rebounds (active players in bold):
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar – 38,387 points & 17,440 rebounds
- Karl Malone – 36,928 points & 14,698 rebounds
- Wilt Chamberlain – 31,419 points & 23,924 rebounds
- Shaquille O’Neal – 28,255 points & 12,921 rebounds
- Moses Malone – 27,409 points & 16,212 rebounds
- Elvin Hayes – 27,313 points & 16,279 rebounds
- Hakeem Olajuwon – 26,946 points & 13,748 rebounds
- Patrick Ewing – 24,815 points & 11,607 rebounds
- Charles Barkley – 23,757 points & 12,546 rebounds
- Robert Parish – 23,334 points & 14,715 rebounds
- Elgin Baylor – 23,149 points & 11,463 rebounds
- Kevin Garnett – 22,267 points & 12,188 rebounds
- Walt Bellamy – 20,941 points & 14,241 rebounds
- Bob Pettit – 20,880 points & 12,849 rebounds
- David Robinson – 20,790 points & 10,497 rebounds
- Tim Duncan – 20,641 points & 11,335 rebounds
Chuck and Hakeem joined some esteemed company 17 and 18 years ago today.
Image Credit: Creative Commons