What if: Redoing the 2008 NBA Draft
What picks do general managers have nightmares about?
HoopsVibe's Very Quick Call: The shape of the league is drastically affected by every draft.
Hindsight is 20/20, as the saying goes. When it comes to the NBA draft, there is no exact science. There is no perfect way to scout prospective players and determine which guys will translate best into the NBA or into the mold of your team. Looking back on past drafts, I'm sure that many General Managers wish they could re-do past drafts and past picks because of the way players proved to fit into the NBA.
Five years after the 2008 draft, it seemed like a good time to take a step back and see how the players from this draft have faired and determine how the first half of the draft would've gone had we known how good or bad a player turned out to be.
Without further adu, here is your reconfigured 2008 NBA Draft.
Draft Pick-Team- Player Name (Where Player was actually drafted)
1. Chicago Bulls- Derrick Rose (Picked 1st by Chicago Bulls
2. Miami Heat- Russell Westbrook (Picked 4th by the Oklahoma City Thunder)
3. Minnesota Timberwolves- Kevin Love (Picked 5th by the Memphis Grizzlies then traded to the Timberwolves)
4. Oklahoma City Thunder- Brook Lopez (Picked 10th by the New Jersey Nets)
5. Memphis Grizzlies- Eric Gordon (Picked 7th by the Los Angeles Clippers)
6. New York Knicks- Roy Hibbert (Picked 17th by the Toronto Raptors)
7. Los Angeles Clippers- O.J. Mayo (Picked 3rd by the Minnesota Timberwolves then traded to the Grizzlies)
8. Milwaukee Bucks-Danilo Gallinari (Picked 6th by the New York Knicks)
9. Charlotte Bobcats- Serge Ibaka (Picked 24th by the Oklahoma City Thunder)
10. New Jersey Nets- Javale McGee (Picked 18th by the Washington Wizards)
11. Indiana Pacers- George Hill (Picked 26th by the San Antonio Spurs)
12. Sacramento Kings- Ryan Anderson (Picked 21st by the New Jersey Nets)
13. Portland Trail Blazers- Nicholas Batum (Picked 25th by the Houston Rockets)
14. Golden State Warriors- J.J. Hickson (Picked 19th by the Cleveland Cavaliers)
15. Phoenix Suns-Marreese Speights (Picked 16th by the Philadelphia 76ers)
A few things stand out to me as I take a look at the 2008 draft.
1. Four players who were drafted after the the 20th pick in the draft should have gone in the top 15. (Ibaka, Hill, Anderson, Batum)
2. Four players would have been drafted by the very team that they are currently playing for. (Rose, Love, Hill, Batum)
3. Eightof the actual top 15 draft picks don't appear on this draft board. (Michael Beasley, Joe Alexander, D.J. Augustin, Jerryd Bayless, Jason Thompson, Brandon Rush, Anthony Randolph, Robin Lopez)
4. The idea that the Charlotte Bobcats could have theorhetically taken Serge Ibaka at number 9 and Nicholas Batum or George HIll at number 20 has to infuriate the Bobcats faithful (they took D.J. Augustin and Alexis Ajinca)
5. A Russell Westbrook/Dwyane Wade duo would have been intriguing.
6. Could Kevin Durant/Brook Lopez be more effective than KD/Westbrook?
The NBA would be a very different league had the general managers known how these players would've faired in the league. The draft would have looked very different, and the power may have been shifted had this alternate draft taken place.
Photo Credit: WENN