Isiah and the Big Apple
Isiah Thomas has come into Gotham and quickly put his stamp on this once proud franchise. The New York Knicks looking to change things up and end their losing ways hired Thomas to run the daily operations of the team including player decisions. Thomas has done everything short of trading the Statue of Liberty, first Clarence Weatherspoon was sent to Houston for Moochie Norris, then the blockbuster with Phoenix, netting the Knicks Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway, while sending out Antonio McDyess, and Charlie Ward (later released by Suns). And now the firing of Don Chaney and the hiring of NBA victories leader, Lenny Wilkins. Wilkins has a tough task ahead to get the Knicks into playoff form, but in a very soft Eastern conference anything is possible, besides Thomas still has more trading up his sleeve looking into unloading, Keith Van Horn, Howard Eisley and any other Knick not named Houston or Marbury. You could talk about rumored names Thomas is after all day, from soon-to-be movie actor Darius Miles (The Perfect Score), to Portland’s prodigal son Rasheed Wallace, but the key is not who Thomas acquires but that he wants to shake things up and find the right guys, and in a salary cap restricted league Thomas will just keep wheeling and dealing till he gets that perfect combination of players.
– Detroit has run it’s winning streak to 10 games but still trail Indiana.
– Minnesota in beating the Spurs overtook them for first in the Midwest, T-Wolve fans must be dreaming of a first round win.
– Best home record in the East?? Indiana? Good guess your right (15-4) but Milwaukee has the same record as well.
– How bad is the Atlantic Division? The entire Midwest Division (7 teams) would lead or be within 2 games of the lead in the Atlantic.
– Sacramento, the only team without hitting double digits in losses (27-9), has a tough one at home against the depleted Lakers Friday night.
– Only 2 days left to vote for the NBA All-Star game. Vince Carter still the leading vote getter.
– The dunk contest needs to be Jason Richardson, Desmond Mason, and Ricky Davis tell me what NBA fan doesn’t want to see that?