Dotson’s trial postponed until August
Waco, TX (Sports Network) – Carlton Dotson, charged with murder in the
shooting death of his former roommate and Baylor University basketball
teammate Patrick Dennehy, will go to trial on August 9.
The trial originally had been set for March, but defense attorneys requested
and received more time to review the voluminous paperwork involved in the
Dennehy was reported missing by his family on June 19 and his body was found
approximately six weeks later in Waco near a rock quarry. Dotson was arrested
and charged with the murder on July 21.
The 21-year-old Dotson reportedly told authorities he shot Dennehy when
Dennehy tried to shoot him. The rock quarry where Dennehy’s body was found is
just miles from the Baylor campus, and he had been shot twice in the head.
If convicted, Dotson is looking at a sentence between five years and life in
The news of Dotson’s postponed trial comes on the heels of Baylor announcing
the results of an investigation concerning scandals within the men’s
basketball program on Thursday.
University president Robert Sloan, citing a report by a school-appointed
committee, accused former head coach Dave Bliss of allowing major NCAA
infractions during his four years at the school.
Bliss was found to have made improper payments to students, including Dennehy.
Other NCAA infractions included members of the coaching staff arranging for
meals, transportation, lodging and clothing for more than one athlete or
prospective athlete, Sloan said.
Also, earlier this week, a judge dismissed the only remaining count in a
wrongful-death lawsuit filed against Baylor by Dennehy’s father. Patrick
Dennehy, Sr. claimed that his son was attempting to expose the NCAA violations
prior to death.