Hawkeyes dismiss guard Pierre Pierce
Iowa City, IA (Sports Network) – Pierre Pierce, who was leading the Hawkeyes
in scoring, has been dismissed permanently from the Iowa basketball team.
Pierce, who has been in trouble before, is under investigation by West Des
Moines police for his role in a sexual assault and burglary last week. He
could face charges of intent to commit sexual abuse, burglary, criminal
mischief and false imprisonment.
“Effective, immediately, Pierre Pierce has been dismissed from the University
of Iowa men’s basketball team,” head coach Steve Alford said Wednesday.
A police report estimates about $1,300 damage to property, including a
television, stereo, photographs and bedroom furniture.
In 2002, Pierce was charged with third-degree sexual abuse and eventually
pleaded guilty to a lesser charge. He sat out the 2002-03 season, but did not
lose a season of eligibility.
After the incident in 2002, Pierce received a deferred judgment, so the charge
was erased from his record after he completed one year of supervised
probation, underwent counseling and did 200 hours of community service.
“I regret this step has become necessary, but Pierre has betrayed the trust we
placed in him when he was given a second chance two years ago,” Alford said.
“Pierre is an excellent basketball player who will be missed by our team. But,
given the circumstances, I feel this is the only appropriate response.”
Pierce, 6’4″, 195 pounds was leading the Hawkeyes with a 17.8 points per game
average and was a strong candidate for all-Big Ten honors. The junior started
80 of 84 games during his Iowa career. He finishes his career at Iowa with
1,072 career points and had 305 assists in his two-plus years.