Tuesday , Feb , 15 , 2005 C.Y. Ellis

Texas Tech upsets No. 2 Kansas in 2OT

Lubbock, TX (Sports Network) – Darryl Dora’s three-pointer with 3.6 seconds
left in double overtime lifted Texas Tech to a thrilling 80-79 upset of No. 2
Kansas in a Big 12 showdown at United Spirit Arena.

Martin Zeno scored 24 points to help the Red Raiders earn only their second
victory over the Jayhawks in 17 all-time meetings. Ronald Ross compiled 21
points, 11 rebounds and seven assists while Jarrius Jackson contributed 19
points for Texas Tech (16-6, 8-3 Big 12), which has won five of its last six

Keith Langford finished with 24 points and eight rebounds for Kansas (20-2,
10-1), which twice sent the game into extra periods with dramatic baskets in
the final seconds. Wayne Simien posted 20 points and 13 boards in the
Jayhawks’ first setback in seven games.

The Red Raiders trailed 79-77 when Jackson misfired a three-point shot with 10
seconds to go in the second overtime. KU’s Aaron Miles pulled down the rebound
in a crowd but was called for traveling with 7.9 seconds left after being
converged by three Texas Tech players, giving the hosts one final chance.

After a timeout, the Red Raiders worked the ball to an open Dora, who drained
the game-winning shot from straight away. Miles then launched a 40-footer as
time expired, but the shot fell way off mark.

“The way we came out and battled [in overtime], I think that was a tremendous
thing for our team to do,” said Texas Tech head coach Bobby Knight.

Kansas forced an additional overtime when Christian Moody tipped in Simien’s
missed layup with one second remaining to knot the score at 74-74.

Langford scored the first two baskets of the second extra session, including a
three-pointer at the 2:52 mark that put the Jayhawks up 79-74. It was Kansas’
first lead since late in the first half.

Texas Tech held the Jayhawks scoreless the rest of the way and pulled within
two when Zeno hit three of four foul shots over two separate trips to the

The Red Raiders had a 68-63 edge with under three minutes remaining in
regulation but Miles cut it to two with a long-distance bucket with 2:18 to
play. After J.R. Giddens missed a potential go-ahead three-pointer with 43
seconds showing, Texas Tech corralled the rebound and Zeno was fouled.
However, the freshman missed the front end of the one-and-one and Langford
sank one of two free throw attempts to make it a one-point game with 16
seconds left.

Zeno was again sent to the line but hit just one of the two shots. Langford
would make him pay for the miss, as he drove the lane and laid in a left-
handed shot with 4.1 seconds on the clock for a 69-69 tie.

“We had some awfully good opportunities to win the game,” Knight remarked. “I
thought we had a chance to win it about four different times.”

Kansas would go cold in the first overtime, missing its first seven field goal
attempts, and was down 73-70 in the closing stages. However, Moody tipped in
Langford’s miss with 18.8 seconds left and the Jayhawks immediately fouled
Dora, who could hit just one of two attempts for a 74-72 lead. Kansas then
found Simien underneath in the final seconds, but his layup rolled off the
rim. Moody was there to follow and dropped in the tying shot with one second
to go.

The Jayhawks trailed through most of the second half but drew even with a 9-4
run midway through the stanza. A driving layup by Langford followed by Michael
Lee’s mid-range jumper with 7:29 left in regulation forced a 57-57 tie.

After a 10-3 Kansas run turned a 29-23 deficit into a one-point edge, the Red
Raiders scored the final seven points of the first half to take a 39-33
advantage into the break. Jackson put Texas Tech back in front with a three-
pointer with 2:26 remaining before intermission, and following two good foul
shots from Dora, Ross made it a six-point cushion by banking home a
short jumper with seven seconds on the clock.

Back-to-back three-pointers by Giddens tied the game at 29-29 with just under
four minutes to go in the half. Texas Tech quickly regained the lead when
Jackson buried a triple on the ensuing possession, but a jumper from Miles
followed by Moody’s layup at the 2:27 mark put the Jayhawks ahead 32-31.