Sunday , Feb , 20 , 2005 C.Y. Ellis

Michigan’s Horton suspended for season

Ann Arbor, MI (Sports Network) – Daniel Horton, Michigan’s second-leading
scorer, has been suspended from his team’s remaining games in the 2004-05
season following an off-court incident.

Horton, who recently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of domestic
violence, was suspended indefinitely from all team activities on January 25.
He will now be able to practice and workout with the team, but is ineligible
to play in any remaining regular-season or postseason contests.

“This has been a very difficult time, and I’ve learned a lot,” Horton said in
a statement. “I’m grateful for the chance to get back with my teammates.”

Horton, the MVP of last season’s NIT, was accused of choking his girlfriend
back on December 10.

Sentencing is scheduled for March 9 and Horton, who is free on bond, could
face up to 93 days in jail, as well as a $500 fine.

“As we stated all along, we understand the seriousness and sensitivity of this
situation,” Michigan coach Tommy Amaker said in a statement. “As with all of
our decisions, we will do what we feel is right.”

Overall, the junior guard will miss the final 11 regular-season games, along
with the Big Ten Conference tournament and any postseason contests Michigan
participates in. Horton, who was also sidelined for six games earlier in the
year with a knee injury, averaged 12.4 points to go along with a team-leading
4.2 assists in 13 games this season.

MICHIGAN