North Carolina’s McCants turning pro
Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) – North Carolina junior Rashad McCants
announced Wednesday that he will forgo his final season of eligibility and
enter the upcoming NBA Draft.
“I have a lot of memories here,” McCants said at an afternoon press
conference, flanked by head coach Roy Williams. “My teammates, people I
love…they will be truly missed.”
McCants helped the Tar Heels to their first national championship since 1993,
scoring 14 points in a 75-70 victory over Illinois in the NCAA Tournament
final last week.
He vowed not to give up on his college education and said he will pursue his
degree by taking summer courses.
“I have total respect and support for him,” Williams acknowledged.
McCants averaged 16.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game in
2004-05, and at 6-foot-4 will probably play guard in the NBA.
“I think I can do a lot of things on the NBA level,” he said.
It is unknown whether fellow Tar Heel stars Sean May, who was named the NCAA
Tournament Most Outstanding Player, Raymond Felton or Marvin Williams will
enter the draft or stay in school.
“For me and my teammates, we are all going to do what’s best for our
families,” McCants said. “Education is important…but you have to make a
financial decision as well.”
The early entry withdrawal deadline is June 21, which is one week before the
draft takes place.