Notre Dame’s Francis withdraws from draft
South Bend, IN (Sports Network) – Notre Dame forward Torin Francis withdrew
his name from the 2005 NBA early entry draft list and will return for his
senior season with the Fighting Irish in 2005-06.
Tuesday marks the final day for underclassmen who have not hired an agent to
pull out of the draft.
Francis made himself eligible on April 14. However, after attending the NBA
pre-draft camp in Chicago last week, he decided to change his mind.
“When Torin made himself eligible for the draft in the spring, I always felt
that he was a four-year player in our program,” said head coach Mike Brey. “My
coaching staff and I fully supported the decision that he made at the time to
explore the opportunity of playing in the NBA next year. Following the pre-
draft camp in Chicago and sorting through all the information he and I have
collected over the past couple of months, Torin sat down with his family and
felt that it was in his best interest to return to Notre Dame for his senior
The 6-foot-10 Francis averaged 9.3 points and a team-high 7.9 rebounds during
the 2004-05 campaign. He has started all 83 games he has played and owns
career averages of 11.2 points and 8.3 rebounds. Francis is tied for fourth
on the school’s career blocked shots list with 126 and ranks fourth all-
time with a 1.5 career average.
He had his sophomore season cut short when he underwent surgery for a
herniated disc in his back.
“After exploring my options, my family and I have decided that it would be in
my best interest to return to Notre Dame for my senior season and graduate
from the university,” said Francis. “I’m excited about being back here with my
teammates and looking forward to having a good season from both a team and