NBA Fun Facts: Shaquille O’Neal, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, and more…
What’s good, basketball fans?
The title tells most of the tale, so I needn’t waste much of your time setting it up. What follows are twenty fun facts you may or may not have already known, all of which came straight from the part of my brain formerly used to store the rules of chess. I may have become the next Gary Kasparov, but instead I chose to fill my head with useless basketball trivia. I stand by my decision.
Let’s get right into it.
- Kobe wears eight as it is the total of the digits on the jersey he wore at the ABCD camp (143).
- Tim Duncan has a tattoo of Merlin the Magician on his back.
- The man known as “Ray Allen” is, in fact, named “Walter Ray Allen”.
- Moochie Norris’ real first name is Martyn. His nickname came from Cab Calloway’s “"Minnie the Moocher", his grandfather’s favourite song.
- Popeye Jones’ real first name is Ron.
- As a child, Shaq fell from a tree while imitating Spider-Man and fractured both of his wrists.
- Jason Williams started alongside Randy Moss on his high school basketball team.
- Bonzi Wells’ real first name is Gawen, which he shares with both his father and his son.
- Darvin Ham’s mother is the mayor of Saginaw, Michigan.
- Drew Gooden’s mother is Finnish.
- Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacques Wamutombo (known simply as “Dikembe Mutombo” to most) speaks seven languages fluently.
- Gilbert Arenas’ father once had bit parts in the television shows Miami Vice and Days of Our Lives.
- Kevin Garnett’s wife is sister to the wife of Jimmy Jam.
- Mike Bibby and Eddie House are brothers-in-law.
- Kwame Brown has a daughter named “Kwameeri”.
- Rasheed Wallace has a daughter named “Rashiyah”.
- Rasheed Wallace had his championship ring altered so that it would fit his middle finger.
- Contrary to what is often found in official media guides, Ronald “Flip” Murray was given his nickname as a result of one of his friends, who commented that he was as dark as Bernie Mac’s character in the movie Above the Rim.
- Tayshaun Prince was born in Compton.
- Vladimir Radmanovic has twice played the part of the grandfather in the party scene of the famed ballet The Nutcracker.