Should Denver Nuggets Sign Allen Iverson To Six year Extension?
Iverson, even as an elder statesman, polarizes basketball fans. Fifty percent love him; the other fifty percent hate him. It’s always been this way. College basketball fans were split on his two-year run with John Thompson at Georgetown University. With Philly, the new school, Slam-era embraced him, while old heads like Charles Barkley took shots through the media …
The Rocky Mountain News reports on Allen Iverson’s desire to opt-out of his contract in July, so he can sign a six-year extension with
Nevertheless, Iverson’s personal manager, Gary Moore, said Tuesday the hope is for Iverson to opt out of the contract and sign a six-year deal, the maximum allowed. That was rubber- stamped by Iverson.
"Hell, yeah," said Iverson, who turns 33 in June. "I want to play until I’m 39. I don’t want to play over 40."
My Quick Take: Iverson, even as an elder statesman, polarizes basketball fans. Fifty percent love him; the other fifty percent hate him.
It’s always been this way. College basketball fans were split on his two-year run with John Thompson at
Indifference is not an option. There seems to be no middle ground with The Answer.
Of course, the great divide is bound to continue after news broke that Iverson wants a six-year extension from
HoopsVibe The Blog wants readers to weigh-in on this situation. As always, read both sides of the argument, form an opinion, and let us know if
- With Iverson,
is a draw at a home and on-the-road. The tiny point guard entertains with his fearless drives, soft fadeaways, and lightning quick handles. Denver
- Iverson still plays at a very high level. The All-Star can score, distribute, and change the game with his blazing speed.
- Iverson has transcended his tiny stature and hasn’t aged. Why can’t he continue dominating in his late thirties?
- Iverson’s presence and play takes pressure off rising star Carmelo Anthony.
- The odds are against him. Guards, like Gary Payton and Isiah Thomas, hit the wall in their mid thirties.
, if they agreed to Iverson’s proposal, would have him on the books through his mid thirties until he was nearly 40 years old. Denver
- Eventually, Iverson’s reckless style will catch up with him. After all, the former MVP is always taking hard fouls because he attacks the basket with reckless abandon.
- The salary cap discourages teams signing players past 36. If the Nuggets signed Iverson to a six year deal, the money after he turns 36 is applied to the contract in the years before 36.
So, should the Nuggets sign Iverson to a six year deal? Get at us in the comment box below or hit us up in HoopsVibe’s revamped fan forum at http://www.hoopsvibe.com/forum.