Should Boston, Golden State, Phoenix, & Toronto Sign Damon Stoudamire Or Sam Cassell?
The question is relevant because Damon Stoudamire and Sam Cassell are reportedly on the verge of being bought out by Memphis and L.A. (Clippers), which would make them unrestricted free agents. GM’s wouldn’t have to give up compensation and could sign either veteran to a cheap contract. Four teams -Boston, Golden State, Phoenix, and Toronto- have interest in Stoudamire and/or Cassell …
My Quick Take: Mighty Mouse or Gollum? Who is the best back-up point guard?
The question is relevant because Damon Stoudamire and Sam Cassell are reportedly on the verge of being bought out by
GM’s wouldn’t have to give up compensation and could sign either veteran to a cheap contract. Four teams –
But the answer to Mighty Mouse or Gollum depends on each team’s needs and circumstances. Below is a breakdown. As always, read the post, form an opinion, and get at us in the comment box below.
- Why they’re Interested: Right now, GM Danny Ainge is denying his team’s need for a back-up point guard. However, Eddie House is at his best when spotting-up for jump shots, not running an offense.
- The Breakdown: Stoudamire is the safer bet. His defense is suspect, though. Cassell, of course, is tight with Kevin Garnett from their days in
, but had issues with Ray Allen in Minnesota . Milwaukee
- Best Choice: Cassell. His experience will help later in the year.
Warriors Golden State
- Why They’re Interested: Troy Hudson was signed to back-up Baron Davis. The dreadlocked point guard is out indefinitely with a hip injury, so the Warriors could use another table-setter.
- The Breakdown: Don Nelson would appreciate Stoudamire’s pace, but Cassell’s veteran savvy could help ‘We Believe’ during the stretch drive.
- Best Choice: Even. Either point guard would work.
- Why They’re Interested: Coach Mike D’Antoni can’t settle on a back-up for Steve Nash. His platoon system -rotating Marcus Banks, Leandro Barbosa, and Grant Hill- hasn’t produced.
- The Breakdown: Stoudamire’s speed fits Seven Seconds To Shoot. But Cassell could provide additional leadership and has the ability to take an end-of-game shot.
- Best Choice: Cassell. D’Antoni should take another look at what he already has.
- Why They’re Interested: Starter T.J. Ford has missed a stretch of games due to injury. There’s no timetable for his return, but Jose Calderon has performed brilliantly as the first string table-setter.
- The Breakdown: This is a tough one. Years ago, Stoudamire turned his back on
; Cassell’s volatile personality might not work up north. Toronto
- Best Choice: Neither. The Raptors should give Juan Dixon another opportunity.
Where’s the best fit for Stoudamire and Cassell sign? Get at us in the comment box below or hit us up in our fan forum? Click here to read and subscribe to Oly Sandor’s NBA Blog.