Thursday , Jun , 03 , 2004 C.Y. Ellis

Bryant’s attorneys say expert was not permitted to view DNA testing

Eagle, CO (Sports Network) – Kobe Bryant’s defense team accused prosecutors
Thursday of violating a court order that allowed an expert to view the results
of a DNA test in the Laker guard’s pending sexual assault case.

District attorney Hal Haddon said that his DNA expert, Elizabeth Johnson, was
told she could observe any DNA tests up until June 18. However, Haddon claims
he received a letter earlier this week from the prosecutors that said the
laboratory chosen would not allow to Johnson to watch.

Haddon has asked District Judge Terry Ruckriegle to make the prosecution
explain their choice of labs, stating Johnson was allowed to watch the tests
at the CBI laboratory in February.

The prosecution has not disclosed what evidence they want tested, but it is
thought to involve information gathered during hospital exams from the woman
and Bryant.

The 25-year-old Bryant is accused of sexually assaulting a woman last June 30
at a Colorado resort, a Class 3 felony with penalties ranging from four years
to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation.

Bryant, who was in Colorado for surgery on his right knee at the time of the
alleged assault, claimed the two had consensual sex.

The defense has insisted throughout that the accuser had sex with someone else
less than 15 hours after her alleged assault by Bryant, and that injuries
found on the woman’s body could have been caused by sexual partners before her
encounter with Bryant.

Ruckriegle has still not ruled whether the woman’s sexual history will even be
admitted into evidence.

The woman’s attorney has denied that she had sex with anyone before her
hospital examination.

LAL