Wednesday , Dec , 28 , 2005 C.Y. Ellis

Szczerbiak scores 30 in Minnesota’s win over Sonics

Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) – Wally Szczerbiak hit 12-of-18 shots and
scored 30 points, as the Minnesota Timberwolves beat the Seattle SuperSonics,
108-95, at the Target Center.

Kevin Garnett had 26 points, 10 rebounds and six assists while Eddie Griffin
added 22 points and 12 boards for the Timberwolves, who put an end to a two-
game losing streak.

Ray Allen scored 24 points while Damien Wilkins and Reggie Evans each netted
15 for the Sonics, who have dropped three of their last four games.

Minnesota opened up the game shooting well and built a big lead, which proved
to be too much for Seattle to overcome.

After trailing for the entire game, the Sonics went on a 12-3 run bridging the
third and fourth quarters, capped by a pair of Wilkins free throws, to cut the
deficit to 80-72 with 8:45 left to play in the game.

The Timberwolves then came right back and countered with an 11-2 run, finished
with a Griffin three-point play, to make it 91-74.

Seattle kept trying to chip away, but Szczerbiak was too strong, scoring 14
points in the fourth quarter to seal the win.

With the game tied early on, Minnesota opened up a huge lead by finishing out
the first quarter on a 24-9 run, highlighted by eight points from Garnett. The
Timberwolves were up 30-15 after 12 minutes of play.

Minnesota opened up the second period with a 7-2 run, including a pair of
Szczerbiak jumpers, to widen the lead to 20 points.

Seattle, though, countered with a 12-4 spurt, capped by Rashard Lewis’ jumper
with just under five minutes left in the half, to make the score 41-29.

The Timberwolves eventually went into the locker room with a 51-41 lead and
carried a 79-67 edge into the final stanza.

Game Notes

The Timberwolves shot 58.1 percent from the field, compared to Seattle, which
hit on 44.3 percent of its shots…The Sonics outrebounded the Timberwolves,
45-32…Lewis scored 14 points…Seattle’s Danny Fortson was ejected for
swinging an elbow with 7:13 left in the fourth quarter…Minnesota’s biggest
lead was 24 points.