Wednesday , Jan , 10 , 2007 C.Y. Ellis

Sixers reach agreement to buyout Webber

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) – The Philadelphia 76ers and Chris Webber
have reached an agreement on terms to buyout the forward’s contract and make
him a free agent.

The Philadelphia Daily News reported the agreement on Wednesday, citing an
unnamed source.

According to the paper, Webber would give back less than $5 million in the
deal. He was slated to make over $20 million this season and over $22 million
next year under his current contract.

The exit of Webber, who Philadelphia acquired from Sacramento by trade in
February of 2005, would mark the second major shakeup for the rebuilding 76ers
this season.

The Sixers traded guard Allen Iverson to Denver in December along with rookie
Ivan McFarlin for guard Andre Miller, forward Joe Smith and a a pair of first-
round draft choices.

A five-time All-Star, Webber has been limited to just 18 games this season
because of right ankle and foot injuries. He has missed 10 of Philadelphia’s
last 13 games and is averaging 11 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists per
game this year.

In his career, Webber holds averages of 21.4 points, 10 rebounds and 4.3
assists in 779 games, all but two of those starts.

Webber was selected first overall in the 1993 draft by the Orlando Magic and
was promptly traded to Golden State for guard Anfernee Hardaway and three
first-round draft picks. He averaged 17.5 points and 9.1 rebounds per game in
his rookie season, but feuded with then Warriors coach Don Nelson before the
start of next season, refused to report to training camp and was then traded
to Washington.

He spent his next four seasons in Washington before moving on to Sacramento
for the next six-plus seasons. The former Michigan product is best remembered
from his college days as a member of the “Fab Five” and for calling a timeout
his team didn’t have in the 1993 NCAA Tournament championship game with 11
seconds left in the contest and his team down by two.

That led to a technical foul being called and an eventual 77-71 defeat at the
hands of North Carolina.