Artest returns to Kings
Sacramento, CA (Sports Network) – Ron Artest returned to the Sacramento Kings
on Saturday after being suspended following his arrest earlier in the week on
suspicion of domestic violence.
Artest issued an apology and is expected to play Sunday when the Kings host
The team excused Artest on Tuesday. He was arrested and later released on
$50,000 bail Monday by the Placer County Sheriff’s Department following a
disturbance at his Loomis home.
“I apologize to my wife and my family. I want to apologize to the Kings, to my
teammates, the NBA and everybody that supported me,” Artest said in a
statement. “For another incident to come up is very unfortunate. I definitely
want to apologize for my behavior, even to the former teams I played on —
they showed a lot of support.”
According to the Placer County Sheriff’s Department, a female called 911 at
9:23 a.m. local time, reporting that she had been assaulted by Artest.
Deputies responded and found both parties in the home, but separated. Artest
cooperated during the interview and was booked without incident.
Artest, 27, is scheduled to be arraigned March 22.
“I’m definitely (humbled) by what happened with my family and I took a step
back as being a father and a husband and I’m looking forward to the day where
I can make that right, with my family,” Artest continued.
The troubled forward has had his problems in the past. He was one of the most
fined players in the league until the now infamous brawl at the Palace at
Auburn Hills when he was a member of the Pacers.
Artest ran into the crowd after being hit with a cup and started a melee that
resulted in a year-long suspension.
“Ron Artest is once again in the media for something other than basketball,”
Artest said. “I want to apologize to everybody out there, once again to the
Kings and the Sacramento fans and the Sacramento people in general for my
actions and my behavior.”
In 51 games this season with the Kings, Artest is averaging 18.7 points and